Saturday 23 March 2019

Shashank Arora, actor, sits down with us and explains how he managed to find peace in the city away from its hustle and bustle




Shashank Arora rose to fame with movies like Rock On 2, Titli, Lipstick Under My Burkha, Manto, and most recently, the web series, Made In Heaven. He has not only been unconventional with his choice of work, but also with his home. Instead of living in the centre of the city amidst popular hubs, Arora chose to live in a peaceful and quiet corner of the city – the Aarey Colony.

During his early days, Arora had stationed himself in LA; however, since luck and work eluded him, he decided to move his base to Mumbai and find his feet in Bollywood. “If I had purchased a house in Andheri or Bandra, my friends would visit me often and my house would become the hub of social gatherings. However, I wanted to stay away from the ‘limelight’ and therefore bought an apartment in Aarey in 2010,” he adds.


A QUIET RETREAT

Nestled in the lap of nature in the middle of the city, the home has a minimalistic appeal, with every corner inspiring Arora. “A home in Aarey helps me keep the noise at bay. Every morning, I wake up to the sound of birds chirping, which is simply sublime,” he mentions. “When I moved here, there was a thick patch of greenery outside my balcony, which was fenced till Film City. However, it has now been replaced with skyscrapers,” he adds. Recollecting an old incident, he says, “Once while walking down the street, I came across a leopard. He simply glared and walked past. At that moment, I was caught in the frenzy of fear; however, I soon realised that living close to nature has its pros and cons. If we take over their space, they will soon encroach upon ours as well.”

LIVING MINIMALLY

A typical day at home is spent reading or writing scripts, gardening and playing a few musical instruments. Arora’s love for all things natural can be seen even in his home décor wherein he has opted for minimalistic wooden interior work as well as furniture that is easy to clean and maintain. “Wood makes me feel one with nature. Hence, I avoid metal or glass furniture at home. My effort has always been to keep my home clean and tidy and the minimalistic furniture only makes my life easier,” explains Arora.

No comments:

Post a Comment